Hi all! I’m finally getting around to writing a post about this dresser. I don’t know why I dragged my feet on this, this bureau ended up being one of my favorites. The piece was a craigslist find and of course, I forgot to take a before photo! It did need a bit of work including repairing a drawer, fixing drawer glides, and adding drawer stops. However, once all that was done, the rest was pretty straight forward. Here is what the dresser looked like with the drawers out and two coats of Annie Sloan Aubusson Blue, probably my favorite shade of blue.
Once the paint was dry, I used 220 grit sand paper to distress the edges and details of the dresser. I also lightly sanded the entire piece to ensure the overall finish was super smooth. Next, I turned my attention to the original brass hardware. I prefer to use original hardware when possible, and I especially loved these round brass pulls. Here is what they looked like before I cleaned them up.
Using natural cleaning products is a priority in my home so I first attempted to clean the hardware with lemon juice and baking soda. Unfortunately, it just didn’t take much of the tarnish off. So I broke down and bought some Brasso, that stuff is smelly! But it works, as you can see below. I’ve since been given a crockpot and next time will plan to clean hardware in that.
The insides of the bottom three drawers were in perfect condition. However, since the top one had some staining, I opted to cover it with some coordinating paper that adds just a bit of farmhouse glam.
I applied two coats of Annie Sloan clear wax to the base of the dresser and three coats to the top and buffed it to a high sheen. I of course wanted to make the bureau look pretty for pictures but find with having two young boys that I seldom buy decorative items. I found this globe curbside and the watercolors were painted by my now 8 year old son, Jack, when he was just two. I love those and when a plan comes together!
Linking up to: